On 12-Mar-04, at 10:01 PM, Gai Early wrote:

Next time I turned it on the hard drive wouldn't spin up. It will happily load from floppies. Have been told that it's the grease in the little hard drive motor which thickens if not in use. Any suggestions?

Hi:

Suggestion:

- ensure that you have disconnected the computer from AC power.
- disconnect the monitor and set it aside, especially if it is sitting on top of the computer (!)
- pop the top cover off the computer. As I recall there are two tabs at the rear edge of the top cover which you simply pull up on and the lid with unhook and lift off
- remove the power and signal connectors from the back of the hard drive.
- lift the hard drive out of the computer.
- hold the hard drive in your hand and "snap" it in a circular motion around the axis of the hard drive spindle. What you are trying to do is the "unstick" the hard drive spindle. There is no way to know if and when you have been successful but in my experience two or three swift snaps either does the job or you're toast.
- reassemble everything, turn on the computer, and see if the drive spins up.

Good luck!!

Jim Foster
President
Macintosh Users East [MaUsE]