At 11:30 PM -0400 4/19/04, Byron Q. Desnoyers Winmill wrote:
On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 07:51:20PM -0500, Derek R. Morton wrote:
A mint condition ScuzzyGraph! Amazingly rare... which the BuyItNow prices attests to. Not my personal cup of tea as I am more into the Quadra series, but still! I believe (my memory does get foggy as the years pass) the graphics are somewhat primitive in that there is only one bit per color (8 total colors including black, white, primary and secondary), but you do get color out of your Plus.

On a slight tangent: while the 8 colours may also be a limitation of the adapter, it is also a limitation of QuickDraw. I seem to recall reading that the non-Colour QuickDraw could support 8 colours, a feature which was supposed to be used for colour printers.

Quite true. QuickDraw (predecessor of Color QuickDraw) could support 8 colors (Black, White, Red, Green, Blue, Cyan, Magenta and Yellow, IIRC). It was built into QuickDraw and you could draw colors to the MacPlus screen except of course every color but white shows up as black. While you couldn't see the colors on screen you could print using an ImageWriter II with color cartridge and print these colors.

With the introduction of the Mac II and ColorQuickDraw it was real neat to see a supposedly black and white program from the MacPlus vintage displaying colors on screen. A few programs were written to use the 8 colors.

When it came out it was a real show stopper but I don't think it sold well. Aside from the cost there was the issue of finding software that could use it. There were few programs that could.

It was something like all the conversions to either add a SCSI port, serial HD or an internal HD to 512K Macs. They were neat but expensive and the drive had to be partitioned into lots of 400K "floppies.
--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA