I just bought a Mac IIci on ebay. It starts up just fine and seems to run
just fine (it's running OS 7.5). However, whoever owned it before me deleted
all of the programs, including standard programs like Claris. So, I
downloaded an editing program on my new Mac that will run on the 7.5 OS, and
put the editing program on a floppy. However, when I place the floppy in the
drive for the Mac IIci, it won't read it. The Mac then asks if I want to
initialize the disk. I click on Initialize and the Mac formats the disk most
of the way, but fails to finish the formatting near the end of the
formatting cycle.

My questions: Is it possible that the person who deleted all the programs
could have inadvertently deleted something that the floppy needs to fully
initialize a floppy disk (or even read it, for that matter)? Does it sound
like I need to buy a new floppy drive? Or could it simply need to be
cleaned? I am hoping to find some answers to these questions before I go out
and spend a fortune on a new floppy drive if I don't even need one.

Thank You,
Marta