I've got exactly one of those too! I had the same thought, DayStar where pushing it :-)

The internal cpu clock runs at twice the speed of the external clock.

I've worked in the semiconductor industry for 25 years, and can tell you that speed "binning" is done this way:

1) Us engineers devise the worst possible test, at the worst possible conditions (voltage, temperature) for each speed grade.

2) The parts are binned out to stockroom as the fastest grade they will work at.

3) Production control then select ones that meet the minimum speed for orders they have, which could include faster parts, and mark them as such.

If, as is often the case, the natural speed distribution is faster than the market requires, then what is shipped may well work faster than it is branded :-)

Another reason why this may happen is maybe the yield of 40MHz parts was just not high enough to be able to reliably count on the supply of them, so they were just not offered.

If DayStar understood this they could easily buy 33MHz and then test which would run at 40MHz themselves. They then offer those at a premium, the rest going into the 33MHz offering.

Hope that's of interest.

John

PS I remember working at Motorola when the first 68000's came out, and going "wow", when looking at it under a microscope! Time moves one.....