I picked up an old Apple 40SC external hard drive. The previous owner has replaced the drive with a 1GB drive.

When I connect this unit to my SE/30, the SE/30 will not boot from its own internal HD, I get the flashing system disk with ? symbol in it. If I disconnect the drive and restart, it works fine. With the computer up and running, if I connect the external drive to the SE/30, the SE/30 will lock up. If I unplug the drive the SE/30 becomes responsive again.

I then tried the drive with my 540c Powerbook and I get the exact same symptoms.

My final test is with my quirky 5300cs Powerbook. With it, the PB booted and the Hard Disk Tools could see the drive and reported the size and make of the drive correctly. However, I received all kinds of OSErr's when I tried to initialize the drive. Now my 5300cs is back on the fritz and I'm unable to use it right now.

I'm new to SCSI so I'm not sure what the problem could be. I'm using an active terminator on the drive and I set it to ID 1, then I tried 3, then I tried 6. All three with the same problem. I've also tried different SCSI HD's in the box, all power up, but cause erratic behavior on whatever Mac its connected to. Some of the HD's I have I've been unable to find any info on jumper settings. On two drives I have, both Quantums, I found a website listing the jumper settings. My understanding is the internal HD's on Macs are SCSI ID 0. So I set both drives up to be SCSI ID 1.

Any ideas?