One phenomenon I have seen is where the read/write head seems to get slightly out of alignment. This results in a drive which will format, read, and write its own diskettes but often rejects diskettes that have been formatted and used on other Macs as unreadable. I don't think there is any practical way to correct this problem at home.

As for drives which seem to have a hard time ejecting diskettes, they sometimes come around by a thorough blowing out of dust but by and large my practice when faced with a diskette drive that is not working properly has been to replace it with a unit I picked up on eBay. I have cultivated at least one relationship with an eBay vendor I trust and I find it more practical to just fork over a few bucks knowing he will stand behind his stuff than to spend hours trying to repair my own units.

Good luck!!

Jim Foster