On Wednesday, July 14, 2004, at 04:20PM, Niels Bretschneider <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hello!
>
>I am setting up an LC 475 as a small server.
>So far, I have replaced the CPU (68LC40 > "full" 68040) and will
>probably put a larger 7200rpm hard drive in it.

Watch the power supply - more aged units sometimes don't give out the right voltage
(should be +12V, +5V and -5V) and will result in newer, faster drives refusuing to
start.

>Will the machine run with "passive cooling" (fan disconnected)? I
>thought of removing the top of the case. According to specs, the unit
>only draws 30 - 35 watts...
>Or will I still run into heat problems?

The heat generated by a 25MHz 040 is enough to make you smart if you catch your finger
on it while it's running without as heatsink. The hard drive will also get very hot.
With the lid removed you will gain a bit of heat dissapation. My advice (and I have
done this myself - I used to have a similar setup in a filing sized deep desk drawer)
is that you should fan ventilate it somehow, oir fit a large passive heatsink on the
040(something about the size used to cool Pentuium 150 CPUs is about right, with the
fan removed) and do not cover the hard disk. Should suffice.

--
Mark Benson

http://homepage.mac.com/markbenson