On 6-Aug-04, at 7:33 AM, Robert J. Stevens wrote:

How do I go about de-installing Printer as well as other programs that
don't work or that I don't want on My Macs.

Hi,

You didn't mention what version of the Mac operating system you are running, so when you say "de-installing Printer" I don't know whether you are talking about an icon on your Desktop that you want to get rid of (that references the older printer no longer available) or whether you are saying that you want to make the old printer no longer accessible in the Chooser. Pretty much all versions of the OS that you could be using have the Chooser feature but only some create desktop printer icons.

I think the simplest answer is to say that you first need to install whatever driver software is needed for the printer you DO wish to use. That software is generally available from the web site of the printer manufacturer, if you do not already have it on disk or CD.

Once you have the new printer software drivers installed, you should be able to choose that printer in the Chooser and then print fine. If your OS is one which wants to place a desktop printer icon on the Desktop of your Mac, you will now find that you can Trash the icon pointing to the old printer without the Mac saying that it is just going to replace it again.

If you OS does NOT support desktop printer icons and you just want to make the old printer no longer show up in the Chooser, you can generally do that by looking for the printer driver in the Extensions folder inside your System Folder and removing that driver from that folder. Restart the Mac and you should no longer see that printer available in the Chooser. You could elect to Trash the original extension but just moving it to some other location will allow you to put it back if you ever need it in future.

Another way to accomplish the same thing is to use the Extensions Manager Control Panel, again assuming that the OS version you are using includes Extensions Manager, to "turn off" that old printer driver.

When it comes to de-installing applications, that can get a little more complicated. Some applications come with "deinstallers". Some can be done away with just by deleting (move to Trash and then Empty Trash) the basic application file itself, but other application installers will put more files than just the application itself on your Mac. If you have a lot of applications like that, you may be better off to wipe the hard drive clean and start all over again.

Good luck!!

Jim Foster
President
Macintosh Users East [MaUsE]