I have an LC running System 6.0.8 and I have it online, using an LC PDS ethernet card and a static IP using MacTCP. I've emailed and received email using an ancient copy of Eudora, and have put files onto my personal web space using Fetch (have also mounted a System 8.6 AppleTalk share on the System 6 desktop, and other AppleTalk shares from newer operating systems as well, including the WebNative implementation that runs on SunOS, but not MacOS X 10.3.x as of yet.

Biggest frustration so far is with web browsers. Only thing I've found that I can browse with under System 6 so far is MacWWW. And that ancient old thing makes Mosaic look sleek and modern!

I've been directed to the same half-dozen "How to get your elderly classic Mac on the web" / "System 6 on the Internet" sites over and over. Some point me to an alleged copy of Lynx for the Mac that was System 6 compatible (can't find it anywhere; found something called MacLynx but it seems to require System 7).

I'm pretty sure there's nothing intrinsically System 6 incompatible about web-browsing (especially given a color Mac); in fact if America Online 2.7 were still allowed by AOL to connect, I'm pretty sure the separate-application Web Browser it shipped with back then would run under System 6 if you had a color-capable Mac (my SE wasn't, of course). Maybe that program would even run by itself, although I think not (seems like you had to enter the URL in the regular AOL program's "keyword" field to launch it, couldn't just launch it standalone?).

Anyone else succeed in browsing the web under System 6 with something more compatible with what's out there than MacWWW?

Alternatively, is there any brave soul doing a build project?
--
Allan Hunter

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
<http://home.earthlink.net/~ahunter>