Some info on *nix for older macs:

http://lowendmac.com/ppclinux/02/0813.html

-Dylan

On Jan 29, 2005, at 6:29 PM, classic wrote:

"Vintage Macs" <vintage.macs@mail.maclaunch.com> writes:
Which compact Mac would be most suited to running a Unix variant? I'd
like to play with UNix on a compact Mac and if possible end up running a
webserver or mail server. Which versions of Unix variants would people
recommend? Are they now too old to provide the security required if one
was to put them on the internet as a server?

Andy.

Guess you are looking at A/UX for the machine? I'm going from memory which
is failing this old guy but I recall that the IIsi ran A/UX and it was
based on the SE/30 but I don't remember whether or not SE/30 will run A/UX.

It's dead at work tonight so here's what I could dig up on the web. Guess
the other thought is what about running something like Quid Pro Quo under
the normal Mac OS or an older version of FirstClass or Telefinder server?
TeleFinder will give you a mail and web server granted it is no longer
being actively supported but is available via http://tfbbs.com/.

http://www.applefritter.com/ui/aux/index.html
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/aux-faq/part1/
http://www.nleymann.de/appleAUX/AppleAUXMain.htm

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=A%2FUX+mac&meta=

http://www.unixguide.net/unix/faq/6.6.shtml

Good luck.

Kevin

Send list messages to: <mailto:vintage.macs@mail.maclaunch.com>
To unsubscribe, email: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>