on 10/9/05 3:30 PM, Samual Acorn wrote:

>well.. mainly my point was that if the rom could be bypassed the
>system might be able to be stretched further... for example if a rom
>routine wasnt exactly what one could call 'optimal' something that is
>faster could replace it... only way i see that that could be done
>would be to use an alternate OS (be it linux or otherwise... linux is
>just my flavor of choice)

The Mac ROMs are a marvel of tight, fast code. And they are bypassed and
extended all the time by both MacOS and the alternate operating systems.
They work best with MacOS because the whole system is designed that way.

>i wouldnt be willing to trust macos to stay stable/secure as a web
>server (doesnt mean i couldnt be proven that it could just that i
>personally wouldnt trust it)

MacOS makes a very stable and secure platform for internet servers. The
main limitation is that people don't port modern services and versions to
it. But nobody will ever get a rootkit onto a classic MacOS server.

>PC with linux is a perfect match but mac with linux is just something
>fun to hack around with...

Depends on your definition of fun. I know from actual experience that
Linux just doesn't work very well on any 68k Mac. People writing Linux
software assume a more powerful machine and it shows. In contrast, MacOS
on any Quadra just screams and really is fun.