--- John Niven <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<clip>
> I think a PC with a SCSI card is really useful for
> formating disks. Any
> PC will do, and say an Adaptek 2940 card will do
> SCSI-2 and SCSI-3. You
> don't even need an OS since the utility is built
> into the cards ROM.

Adaptec made TEN different SCSI cards with model
numbers beginning with AHA-2940.

Check out the specs here.
http://tinyurl.com/dsdua

One is in the Ultra2 Family (AHA-2940U2W, I have one,
it's very nice!) The rest are listed under the
2940 Family.

I have a couple of plain single bus, Fast SCSI2
AHA-2940, one single bus AHA-2940U (Ultra SCSI),
and the AHA-2940U2W.

Many of the 2940 series controllers are available
dirt cheap on eBay, especially the single bus ones
that only have 50pin internal and external connectors.
(Of which the 2940U is one.)

I haven't checked them all, but I think all of the
2940/2944 series have one internal 50pin header for
Narrow SCSI, no matter what their other capabilities
are.

It will be total Fandemonium!
August (Fri) 4th, (Sat) 5th & (Sun) 6th, 2006
http://www.fandemonium.org