A little more info. These drives have been in these computers for at least a year working fine. When I try to boot the IIci or 7500 the drives spin up but then I get the flashing question mark. Could they have become unmounted some how? I've also tried reseating the ram and vram, but that didn't seem to do anything. I also was able to boot the 7500 to an external CD (since now the internal CD doesn't seem to want work either) with system 8, and it could see the internal cd and an unmounted drive which I'm assuming is the HD. Could unplugging the original drive have done something when I tried to add a slave drive, like a conflict that got rid of the start up drive?

Thanks
Thomas

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gregg Eshelman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Vintage Macs" <vintage.macs@mail.maclaunch.com>
Sent: Monday, November 07, 2005 12:05 AM
Subject: Re: Drive problems

--- Thomas Burns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi,

The IIci has a Turbo601, 128mbs ram, 2gb HD.
I'll either get the 4 chime sound and a black screen
when I boot up or I get
the flashing question mark. I can boot from an
external HD that's running
7.0.1. Could this be a dead drive or could the
Turbo601 have died?

The Turbo 601 requires a minimum of a FAT install of
System 7.5* with the Turbo 601 Enabler in the System
folder. IIRC, if you update to 7.5.5 you can remove
the enabler. I know 7.6 does not require it on the
hard drive, but still does on a PPC boot floppy.

8.1 does not require the 601 enabler at all, but you
need one of the hacks to allow it to boot with the
Turbo 601 disabled.

*The Turbo 601 originally came with a "free" copy of
7.5 on floppy disks to ensure the user had the
minimum required System software.

It will be total Fandemonium!
August (Fri) 4th, (Sat) 5th & (Sun) 6th, 2006
http://www.fandemonium.org