That's the point of turning the reading of messages off from the lock
screen. If the phone is locked, then you just get the announcing of an
alert and the time. If your phone is not locked, then the message is
automatically read. I suppose if you don't want to hear messages read
when they are received, then lock your phone until it is needed. I
routinely listen to TuneIn Radio when getting ready for work. When I
get new text messages, which are usually because one of my
departmental colleagues are not coming in for work, they are
automatically read out. I find this information helpful. However, if I
ever don't want to hear a message read and want to leave my phone
unlocked, I could also quickly do a 2 finger single tap on the phone
to stop speech. I suppose turning the phone off is another option too,
grin. I really have liked this option in VO to silence the reading of
alerts and messages in the lock screen. I work in a state training
center for the blind, and many of those blind folk have iOS devices.
So to not have my fiance's message read out to me is a good thing
since I don't want other people listening in to my personal texts. It
sure beats telling friends and family not to text you at work, :)

Hth,
Wayne

On 4/20/12, Gary O'Donoghue <gazz...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Will try that, but I get msgs read even when the phone isnbbt locked.
> Best
> Gary
>
> Gary O'Donoghue
> BBC Political Correspondent
> Mob: 07802 232212
> tel: 0207 9736057
>

> On 20 Apr 2012, at 18:18, Woody Anna Dresner <wadres...@att.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi Gary,
>>
>> One of the settings in General/Accessibility/VoiceOver is Speak
>> Notifications in Lock Screen. If you turn this off, I'm pretty sure text
>> messages won't be read automatically.
>>
>> Best,
>> Anna

Follow me on Twitter at: