I could be wrong, but I agree that some terms may be being confused
here. I do not believe the settings menu allows you to do the same as
holding the home and power button and just rebooting. I think that
reset referrs to reloading everything which will take a lot longer and
be much different than rebooting or what might be termed a hard reset.
I have always wondered if in some way I might be incorrect, but I
believe that the pressing of the power button five or six times just
crashes part of the OS causing it to reboot in response? It does do
less of a complete reboot than if you actually do it by turning the
phone off or the shortcut that turns it off and restarts it
automatically when you hold the home and power buttons down. I have
never found anything documented about the pressing of the power button
five or six times and I really think that just crashes the springboard
and it restarts itself in response. I have done it a time or two, but
methods like that make me nervous. Along with being undocumented, some
of the affects may also be undocumented!