hello,
I always hold the camera about an arm's-length from my face.
Secondly you need to have enough light for the facial recognition to work.
I move the phone around until it says large face center.
I also use the Apple earbuds that came with the iPhone. The reason for this, is
I use the Volume up control
button on the headphones to activate the camera.