I'm not sure this will help, but I found out the other day that Linux
and the Apple products use a vertical cursor that appears between
letters, while MS products use an underscore that appears under a
letter. I realized this when I was looking through my ChromeVox options,
and realized I could change the cursor from the Apple style to the
Microsoft style. Once I changed it to the Microsoft style, editing in
Chrome worked as I was used to in Windows. Prior to that, it was the
same as what I experience on my iPhone. I'm not sure if there's a way to
change this on the iPhone, but through trial and error, I discovered the
same tips that have already been posted.

On 15/06/12 16:01, Chuck Dean wrote:
> Yes, as above, make sure you are going in the right direction.
>
> When I first got my iPhone I thought the edit function was junk until I
> realized my mistake.
> Chuck
>
> On Friday, June 15, 2012 1:49:54 PM UTC-7, Rahul Bajaj wrote:
>
>     Hi all,
>
>     I often get really confused when I try to edit the text that I've
>     typed.
>     For example, when I want to edit a text message, I swipe down with one
>     finger and VO reads the text character by character.
>     Now, if I want to delete a character, I double tap  the  delete button.
>     So, sometimes the character that VO last spoke gets deleted and at
>     other times the character which was immediately before the character
>     that VO last spoke gets deleted.
>     So, how exactly does this work?
>     Let's say I've made a spelling mistake and have written my name as R A
>     H O U L instead of R A H U L.
>     So, where should I press the delete button to delete the O?
>
>     Thanks in advance for your assistance.
>
>     Best,
>     Rahul

Christopher (CJ)