I'm afraid I don't think there's a workaround, and worse, there's not
really a way to find out when batch downloads complete other than
monitoring your storage under settings/general/usage, or alternatively
hiding music that isn't on your phone as you described. You'll find
that downloading many tracks at once doesn't always complete properly
and it's sometimes necessary to hit that download button repeatedly to
restart downloads - or of course, after you've used iTunes Match for
some weeks while connected to the internet, tracks in the cloud will
just download for you as you play them. Hardly a completely accessible
solution, though.

Grant