No you don't. You're using an exchange server maintained by Google, I
think. I set this up by Googling for instructions on line. I think I'm
seeing a problem with my setup though. It seems like the Exchange data
I'm looking at on my phone is sometimes stale. I didn't see this when I
was set up with IMAP. Note that I just noticed this recently, and I
still need to look at it on my mind. It's much more likely that it's
something I'm messing up rather than an issue with using Exchange, but
I'd be curious if anyone else has seen this behavior.

On 24/06/12 10:03, Hank Smith wrote:
> don't u have to be running exchange on your computer for that to work?
> Hank
> On 6/24/2012 8:00 AM, Keith Watson wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> If you are setting up your gmail account through the default gmail
>> service on the iPhone I would suggest that you change to other and set
>> it up as imap. Or you can use the Exchange option to connect. I
>> switched from imap to Exchange as soon as they offered it and have had
>> no issues since.
>>
>> Keith
>>
>> On Jun 24, 2012, at 10:54 AM, Duane Steele wrote:
>>
>>> I'm new to the group, and have a problem even Apple can't seem to
>>> correct. When I try to access my gmail account, I get an alert saying
>>> "Cann't get mail. The user name or password for "?Gmail is incorrect".
>>> I've tried reentering my account information, but to no avail. For a
>>> while, I could connect with my Wi-fi connection. But now I can't even
>>> do that. Any suggestions? Thanks.
>>>
>>> Duane

Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail