Hello. It is normal for the voice to not be available while it is recording.
What I usually do is use the express recording feature. You can even set a
shake to start and shake to stop in the app. Just shake your phone and it will
start recording. Shake it again and it will stop recording. Even if you do not
use the shake to start or stop feature, you can still use the express recording
mode. In the express recording mode window there is a single button right
around the middle of the screen. Double tap this button to start recording.
When you are done just double tap the screen and it will stop. I hope this
helps.

--
Raul A. Gallegos
Sent from my brain