Hello friends,

I'm a retired pastor, having served in a rural parish in the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America for 32 years. When I recently
got my iPhone, I too searched for good Bibles for my phone. Here's
what I discovered with the help of a partially sighted Lutheran
Christian member of our local congregation.

1. Bible Gateway's great, especially online. I haven't tried the app,,
and, until now, didn't know an app existed. Thanks for that
information. A good thing to know when using Bible Gateway on line is
to use the really accessible mobile version. To do this simply go to
www.m.biblegateway.com, and you'll avoid all the advertising when
searching for your favorite passages and favorite translations.
Another unfortunate glitch in this program is that the Bible most used
by many main-line Christians, the New Revised Standard Version is not
available on Bible gateway because of copyright issues. Thus, to
obtain access to this translation, I got the iBooks app, went into it
and ptyped NRSV in the search field and got the bible from iBooks for
$9.99, not a bad price for a Bible. It's quite accessible, though
you'll have to play with it some. It also has the apocrypha, those
books written between the Old and New Testaments found in many Bibles
including the Catholic Bible.

I am sorry you tried the olive tree Bible. The reason it can't be
accessed at all is that it is a totally graphic app. Wouldn't it be
nice if the app store could help us know such things before we pay to
download some of its apps? Case in point, the person whose message I
read on this list about trying to access Sirius/XM on the iPhone. Some
of us Sirius/XM users have already discovered this app's
inaccessibility. I actually canceled my subscription and got credit
back on my Visa card because I called attention to this problem. For
the avid radio buff like myself, I suggest tune-in radio. It's a buck
99 paid all at once and you're done! It's totally accessible and has
access to more stations across the globe than you'll ever need!
Chances are, your own local station's in the tune-in radio cue!

Getting back briefly to accessible Bibles, you have two great
choices,: Bible Gateway and iBooks. Good luck, and, if you want other
Bible accessible ideas outside the iPhone, feel free to contact me
off-list for my phone number which I would gladly post but don't know
if that's allowed. Or you can give me your number and I'll get back to
you.

Peace and blessings,   Duane