Yes absolutely, it doesn't use your phone at all. It uses the backups
that iTunes makes. You can actually take files from your backup
without any additional software, as long as they're not encrypted -
backups are stored in the folder with the rest of your user data. For
example in Windows 7 it should be
c:\users\username\appdata\roaming\apple computer\mobile sync\backups.
(At the moment iTunes isn't installed on my machine as I just
formatted it, so I'm going a little bit from memory - but I'll confirm
later tonight.) The trouble with this method is that iTunes gives all
the files in a backup cryptic file names. So a utility like iPhone
Backup Extractor has the job of showing you the proper directory
structure of your iTunes backups and the correct file names for each
file, so that it's not a guessing game.

Grant