Greetings. I am sending this message to several different email lists,
so appologies if you have already seen it.

Good morning. I went to make my usual Yellow Cab reservation on their
mobile site last night and discovered that they have released an iOS
app for easier booking. The free app is called Hail a Cab Austin and
is available in the iOS app store. I downloaded the app. It looks to
be pretty easy to get around, though there are some parts of it that
are more tricky. For instance, you need to go into one of your
favorites in order to book a new trip. There is no “book trip” or
“schedule new trip” button in the app. Going to the favorites was not
immediately apparent to me when I tried to book a trip, which is why I
bring it up.
I have had trouble when entering the destination address on my Apple
Bluetooth keyboard. I tried between 5-8 times, and each time it
recorded more and/or incorrect letters than I had entered. However,
when I used the virtual keyboard on my iPhone touch screen, each
letter was recorded correctly. Though there was a 1-2 second delay
before it was read out by Voiceover. There also does not appear to be
a way to choose from the favorites you have already entered into the
app, such as if you wanted to choose the home favorite for the
starting address and the work favorite for the ending address.
In the settings tab, the forth one from the left across the bottom of
the screen, you can “edit favorites” in order to add the frequent
places you travel to. The process of adding a favorite was pretty
straight forward. However, each time after I had entered all of the
information for my favorites and hit the save button, the app crashed
and put me on the home screen, where I had to launch the app again.
This happened two separate times when I entered both my home and work
addresses.
This is a very new app and hopefully will continue to improve. I am
telling you about it since I wanted to see if others have similar
experiences as I have had. I figure it would not hurt if blind users
contacted Yellow Cab or the app’s developer to help influence the app
and ensure accessibility. Ideally, I hope that Yellow Cab is added to
Taxi Magic for cab booking, since I have read a lot about Taxi Magic,
the quickness of getting cabs, how you are informed each step of the
way, and the app’s over all accessibility. In addition, Taxi Magic
lets the user know of their cab via push notifications, where it looks
like Hail a Cab uses email for its notifications. This may not be a
big deal since many people that have a mobile device also have email
on that device. I can see how it would be helpful though to have
notifications pop up and not to have to open a separate app (email) to
view my cab’s status. I have not followed through with a booking with
Hail a Cab, but if anyone is able to book a cab with them and go
through the process of tracking the cab and even paying via credit
card with the app, then I would be interested in those experiences as
well.
After spending between 10 and 15 minutes trying to schedule a ride
with the app, I finally gave up and went back to the mobile booking
page where I was able to submit my reservation within 2 minutes. It
should not be a struggle to make a reservation or request a cab on
demand with this app, especially given that many people that rated the
app gave it at least 4 stars.

Kind regards,
Wayne Merritt

--