Hi Kevin,

Like you, I’ve got an iPhone4, so I can relate.  It still works, so why
upgrade?  :-D

I just recently quit my Internet Service Provider and went with a High
Speed Internet.  So I needed to change my e-mail address and so I had to
change that on my iCloud/Apple ID.

There’s a web site on the Apple Support website.  I’m hoping that I can
post the URL here:

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202667

Print out those instructions so that you can access them, then go to those
locations and make the changes, putting in your new e-mail address.

Next; my iPhone has sometimes asked for my Apple ID/iCloud ID password,
even when I’m outside of WiFi.  I don't know why.  I just touch “Cancel”.
It doesn’t really need to know.

As for backing up your iPhone to the iCloud,  You need to go to a place
where you have WiFi and a power outlet.  Your iPhone will back-up to the
iCloud if it’s plugged into a power outlet and has WiFi.  Go to the
Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup > (drag down to the bottom) slide the
iCloud Backup slider green and then touch the Back Up Now.

>From now on your iPhone will back up when the iPhone is plugged in on WiFi
and is locked.  It will tell you when the last time your iPhone was backed
up.

Best of luck.

--Rick