My suggestion on what to use the app for and what not to use it for is to use
common sense.

you! really! are! finished!
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jane
  To: viphone@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Monday, January 19, 2015 8:09 PM
  Subject: Re: Uses for Be My Eyes

  Good evening.

  I just want to add one cautionary note: Do not use this app to have someone
read off credit card numbers, bank statements, etc. That makes us far more
vulnerable.

  Jane

    On Jan 19, 2015, at 9:01 PM, Sarah Clark <sa...@sarahaclark.com> wrote:

    I love this app. My husband had actually thought of doing an app like this
a couple years ago, but we didn't have the resources to do it, so I am very
excited that it finally exists.

    A few people have asked what sorts of things Be My Eyes can help with, so I
wanted to share a few examples.

    get expiration dates on food items
    Identify a product that has no bar code
    find out if a block of cheese has mold
    find out if a shirt has a stain
    get instructions etc from prescription labels
    read the results of a home pregnancy test (beneficial since this usually
has to be done early in the morning with the first urine, before you'd normally
have any sighted help around to help)
    identify buttons on things like a remote, an appliance or piece of
electronics
    read electronics displays

    And we've had a few instances where our computer has crashed and rebooting
causes a dialogue box to come up that we have to make a selection in before it
will launch Windows and the desktop. So we've been stuck with no speech output
until getting past this dialogue box, and have needed to find sighted
assistance, either in person or via FaceTime.
    Also one time in the past I had to give myself a new medication via
injection, and had no one available to help me fill the syringe to the correct
dose, and luckily I was able to find someone to FaceTime with who was able to
watch me slowly fill the syringe and tell me when it reached the dosage line I
had to fill it to. Both of these things can now be done with this app.

    And there are soooo many other things it can help with. Basically its
limitless. Pretty much anything for which it would be useful to have sight.
This is the closest thing to having sight -- being able to get help in real
time, at the very time when it is needed, instead of having to wait hours or
days for it.