Hi Barry, I used a similar Phonak streamer product and rejected it for iPhone
listening for the reasons you mention. Most hearing aids will also take a
direct audio input cable which gets rid of these issues. As well as better
latency and the audio from the iPhone being always on, a direct audio input
cable uses much less battery.
Jonathan Mosen
Mosen Consulting
Blindness technology eBooks, tutorials and training
http://Mosen.org