Hi Dave,
One option I use to switch from an app to control music and then switch back
takes advantage of the lock screen behavior of the iPhone.  I have my iPhone
set with a password, and under Settings  > General > Passcode Lock I have the
option to  Require Passcode set to be "After 5 minutes".
If I am reading mail and want to switch to the next track, I click the power
button, which locks the screen, and then double click the Home button, which
brings up the music player controls.  Then I flick to the controls, pause, or
advance, etc. or check the current track information, and flick to the lock
screen button and double tap to get back to the app I was using.

You do have to be using a password for your iPhone for this method to work, and
the key is to choose a value for requiring a Password that is not "Immediate".
Please note that I am using an iPhone 5 without Touch ID.  Apparently Apple
decided to only allow Passwords to be required  "Immediately" on devices that
have Touch ID activated for iPhone unlock. So if you have a device with Touch
ID enabled, you'd unlock however that feature requires.  This works for me,
where I only have to flick past the music player controls to the lock screen
button and double tap, but I don't know whether this works well for everyone.
I've been using this method since I got my iPhone 5 a couple of years ago.

CJ's instructions should work quite generally via the App Switcher or the
Control Panel.

HTH

Esther