  From: Sieghard Weitzel
  To: viphone@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Sunday, February 15, 2015 2:52 PM
  Subject: RE: Sonos and Deezer with new features - now my top choice for music
services

  HiTeresa,

  To add to Jim’s message, yes, you do need Sonos hardware in order to  use the
app. Jim provided the link to their website and if you search the archive for
“Sonos” you will find a lot of threads about their offering. I bought my first
Sonos players right after I bought my first iPod Touch third Gen in September
2009 and have posted quite a lot about it. For the first few years the Sonos
app was useable, but it had some unlabeled buttons and was not nearly as nice
as it is now. Neil Barnfather from England, myself and some others buged Sonos
a lot in those years about their apparentl lack of commitment towards
accessibility. It seemed strange since otherwise Sonos is an awesome company
with fantastic customer service, very much Apple like with respect to service
and the quality and design of their products. I can’t remember exactly when I
was contacted by Sonos to beta test their app with new accessibility features,
but it’s been at least a year or maybe close to 2 now and by now the Sonos app
is fantastic. I just received a new beta with specific Voiceover improvements
and was asked to test it and provide feedback and Sonos definitely seems to
have a firm commitement to the accessibility of their app. I can’t, of course,
speak for the Android app, but on iOS it’s awesome and the PC desktop app is
also very accessibile with Jaws although you have to use it by tabbing around
and using enter or the right arrow to open menus and so on, the Jaws cursor
reads nothing. Anyhow, I don’t find myself using the desktop app hardly ever
simply because the iOS app is working so well.

  As for the hardware, it consists of a number of different “zone players”
which you can place throughout your house. Initially one of these players had
to be connected to your router with a cable or you could buy a “Bridge” which
you would connect to your router and which would transmit the wireless
signal/network. By now you can set up the entire system wirelessly by
connecting it to your WiFi unless you have their soundbar in which case you
still have to wire at least one player or get a Bridge and then Sonos creates
its own Zigby network which allows all the players to talk to each other..

  The Sonos product offering is pretty comprehensive and consists of the
following:

  1.       Connect: This player is about the size of an Apple TV, but maybe
twice as thick/tall. It is meant to give you access to Sonos on an existing
music system like an amplifier or receiver connected to speakers. The Connect
has 1 set of RCA inputs (red and white) which allows you to connect a source
like a CD player or anything with RCA or 3.5mm output. You then have 3
different outputs which allow you to connect it to your amplifier or receiver:
RCA (analogue), Optical Digital or Coax Digital. If you connect it via one of
the digital outputs, you could also still use the RCA outputs to hook up a set
of powered computer speakers and it would send the signal to both the receiver
and the speakers simultaneously. I, for example, have a Connect hooked up to my
high-end tube amplifier downstairs via the Coax digital, but I am also running
a 20 foot RCA cable into the laundry room where I have a set of computer
speakers so if I am just doing stuff around the house and want to have an audio
book or music playing throughout all rooms, I can do that. The Connect is $399.

  2.       The Connect Amp: This is similar to the Connect, but it’s a bit
larger and it has a built-in 110 Watt (55 Watts per channel) Class D digital
amplifier. It has also a set of RCA inputs to hook up a source, but instead of
the RCA and digital outputs, it has a set of regular speaker terminals so you
can connect a set of standard bookshelf, tower or built-in wall or ceiling
speakers. In my case I have 3 of these units in my house, in the bedroom, the
bathroom and the kitchen. In all rooms they are connected to either in-ceiling
or in-wall speakers. Price for the Connect Amp is $599.

  3.       The Play 5: This is a stand-alone boombox type speaker. You can
place it anywhere as long as you have a power outlet nearby as it does need
power (it cannot run on batteries). It has 5 separate speakers each of which is
driven by it’s own Class D amplifier (2 tweeters, 2 mid range drivers and a
base. The Play 5 has a 3.5mm input and a 3.5mm output/headphone jack and costs
$399..

  4.       The Play 3: Similar to the Play 5, but smaller with a tweeter, mid
range driver and base, once again each driven by its own Class D amplifier.
This player has neither an input nor a headphone jack and goes for $299.

  5.       The Play 1: The smallest speaker with a single driver, once again no
input or headphone jack. Cost is $199 and it still sounds amazing. Any of the
portable players, Play 5, Play 3 or Play 1 can be set up as a stereo pair, but
they have to be the same, e.g. two Play 1 or two Play 3, you can’t set up one
Play 1 and one Play 3 as a stereo pair.

  6.       The Playbar: This is a soundbar with 9 individually driven speakers.
It’s about 3 feet long and won all awards in 2014 for the best soundbar. It has
one single optical digital input and you hook it up to the optical digital
output of you TV. Of course you can still play all the internet content on it
wirelessly same as with all other Sonos players and if you have, for example, a
CD player hooked up to another Sonos player, you can play music from your CD’s,
any source that is hooked up to one Sonos player is available on all players
and you can play it just in one room or you can group your players together. I
can group bedroom and bathroom and listen to Deezer wheras my wife could group
kitchen and livignr oom and listen to something else or you can put all your
Sonos players in “Party Mode” so whatever you play is synchronized across all
players in your house. The Playbar is $699.

  7.       Lastly, the Sonos Sub: This is a wireless subwover which is about
the size of a traditional PC desktop tower except that it weighs almost 40
pounds and it sets you back another $699. You can set up a Sonos Sub with all
other Sonos players except for the Connect which is the non-amplified player
that connects to an existing stereo system. A set of Play 1 and the Sonos Sub
sound amazing and that setup would cost you two times $200 + $700, so a total
of $1,100. Of course a set of Play 3 or Play 5 with the Sub sound even better
especially if it were a large room.

  You can also set up the Playbar with the Sub and a set of Play 1 or Play 3 as
rear channels for a full 5.1 surround setup.

  As for content, you can point the Sonos app to a folder or external drive
connected to your computer where you have all your music and play all that
music on your Sonos system. You can also play any music on your iPhone to your
Sonos system and while Sonos currently doesn’t support Airplay natively, you
can hook up an Airport Express to a Sonos players and it basically becomes just
a source so you Airplay to the Airport Express and it’s available on your
entire Sonos system.

  As for music services, Sonos supports just about anything there is from Tune
In stations, Slacker and Songsa to Sirius XM, Deezer, Spotify, Tidal and so on.
I think all in all they support over 30 music subscription services and most of
them are also very easy to use via the Sonos app, essentially each music
service is an app that lives inside Sonos just like Netflix or Youtube are apps
that live inside the Apple TV.

  OK, I think that about describes what Sonos is, I think anybody who owns one
or more Sonos components love it. I am really hoping that they are going to
release a headset or a small battery powered headphone amplifier which you
could clip to your belt and plug in a headset you already own so that you have
access to all your Sonos content on a headset.

  I also have my laptop connected to my Sonos Connect in my office, so I can
take my Logitech wireless keyboard anywhere in the house and all I have to do
is set the Sonos player in the room I am in to play that source and I get Jaws
anywhere I go. Currently I have my Play 5 sitting in the bedroom as well with a
headset connected so that way I can use the computer in the evening if my wife
is already asleep.