Hi Neal,

What a pain! I’m so glad you found a work-around.

I had something similar happen when I got my iPhone 6 Plus. I remembered my
password fine, but about 112 of my apps were not restored from my iTunes
backup. I was very careful when creating a backup before I got my new phone to
transfer purchases so that all my apps would be on my computer. However,
apparently the transfer process didn’t work for some reason. So I had to
restore from my latest iCloud backup. It took close to 24 hours to complete the
restore, but I had all my apps. So I can’t recommend strongly enough backing up
to both your computer and iCloud before switching phones or upgrading your
version of iOS. That way, if something goes wrong with one backup method, you
have another available.

Best,
Anna