In short, vertical navigation is just another tool in the box.  Like other
tools, such as hand writing or braille input, some people will use it, others
won't, and still others will use it occasionally.

On my fifth gen iPod running iOS 7.x, the first home screen has 4 rows of items
that I use the most.  I touch an item on the screen.  If it is the one I want,
I double tap it.  If it is not, then the one I want is only a few flicks away
up, down, left or right.  This also works in apps that I'm familiar with.

Oh sure, I could just touch the screen and drag my finger around. Sometimes I
do.  But, I'm more likely to do that only when I'm moving something to another
position.  And, vertical navigation works well on both the touch screen and a
Bluetooth keyboard.

With the onscreen keyboard, I use standard typing rather than touch typing.
Usually I use three fingers over the keyboard.  Which finger I touch the screen
with depends on where the key I want is located.  As often as not I touch the
key I want.  If not, I am on the right row and need only flick left or right
once to be on the right key.  Sometimes when I'm not on the right row I just
move my finger up or down.  other times I flick up or down to get on the right
row.

You could always add vertical navigation to your rotor and try it out.  I did
just that with both hand writing and braille input.  At least vertical
navigation will stay in the position within the rotor where you put it.

  David Justice :)