Hi Marie, I've lost count of the number of people I've assisted who have been
tripped up by this very thing. People usually don't give much thought to how
they enter contacts into their phone, and think they'll never travel outside
their home country. So they enter the numbers as they would dial them locally
instead of the international format, which can be dial irrespective of the
country they're in.
So yes, good practice is to always enter a plus symbol at the beginning of the
number, then country code, area code without any leading zeros or ones, then
the number.
For example, a Los Angeles, United States phone number would look like
+1-213-555-1212.
A number in the UK might look like +44-171-123-4567.
You can leave out the dashes if you want or include them. I usually include
them just to make things a bit more readable.
It sounds like you have a big job ahead of you, but once it's done, your
numbers will work for calling and texting anywhere in the world.
Jonathan Mosen
Mosen Consulting
Blindness technology eBooks, tutorials and training
http://Mosen.org