If you've enabled iCloud Drive, your documents get stored in a folder called
Writer in iCloud Drive. Otherwise they're stored on your device somewhere. I
don't know more specifically than that. I wrote to the developer recently
because sometimes the last few lines I type aren't saved, to see if there's a
way to be sure the document is properly saved, but I haven't heard from him.
I've had best results by pressing Home when I'm done writing. I would
definitely recommend doing this before removing the app from the app switcher.
But even that doesn't always seem to work.

Best,
Anna