Cliff,
Good suggestion. Group Text is written by the same person who does the Mail
Plus app and his VoiceOver support is very good.
If folks want to wait for a free app that might also have good VoiceOver
support, they could wait until late July, maybe August for the A2Z Contacts
developer to release his update with properly labeled buttons.
The thing I like about A2Z is that it is one app that can be used to set up
either groups for texting or groups for Emailing.
Plus, with the Email groups it can port them into your contacts so you can
create group Emails from the native mail app.
It is hard to recommend A2Z with the button labels being so strange, it is
tricky to figure out.
But, for those who want to get things going soon, Group Text for $2.99 looks
like an excellent choice.
I've pasted the description of Group Text below.
Richard

With Group Text! you can easily send mass texts (on iPhone) or mass iMessages
(on all devices) to groups, to handpicked set of contacts or to distribution
lists. Once you create a list, you no longer have to select contacts one-by-one
for a group message. Simply tap on the list or group name and you are ready to
send! And if you need to send the same message many times, just save it as a
template and pick it later to auto populate the text of your message. You can
also easily attach a photo (iOS7 required), the address and maps link of the
current or a selected position and contacts information.

Group Text! uses your text plan to send messages and replies are received on
the Messages application as usual or uses the iMessages service depending on
your settings.

With the Share Extension (iOS8 required), access Group Text! while you're using
other apps to share content easily.

User's guide available on the web site www.redbits.com. If in doubt, send an
email to support ! We reply to every request the same day.

Features:
- send mass text messages / iMessages
- easy and quick interface
- use address book groups;
- handpick set of contacts from address book
- select / deselect single recipients in groups and lists
- create and manage distribution lists from address book or manually entering
recipients information
- optionally create and use message templates
- insert photos (iOS7 required)
- insert contact information in message text
- insert the current location (address and maps link) in message text
- insert a picked location (address and maps link) in message text
- send in batches
- personalized texts when sending in batches of one recipient at a time
- setting to show all or only mobile numbers
- setting to show email addresses (for iMessage)
- alert manager to schedule up to 60 one shot or recurring alerts with pre-set
lists/group and text; when an alert fire send a message with only a couple taps
(in-app purchase)
- optional char counter with total used chars, size of the texts, number of the
texts and remaining chars before an additional text is required.
- save or load recipients from / to csv documents
- exchange csv documents by E-Mail or iTunes
- print lists
- works on iPhone, iPad or iPod (iPad and iPod can only send iMessages)
- visually impaired users can fully control the app with VoiceOver+
- landscape support
- uses iCloud to sync lists and templates to all your devices

Note: the app can't use your existing groups when syncing with Exchange. You
can however create lists in the app and use them.

IMPORTANT NOTE :
Check the FAQ to verify the settings to use when sending to large groups.