  From: Alan Lemly
  To: <viphone@googlegroups.com>
  Sent: Sunday, June 21, 2015 2:23 AM
  Subject: Fleksy Keyboard Upgrade and Fleksy VO Experience

  Sending this again but this time with a subject.

  Hello List,

  Today, I upgraded to Fleksy Keyboard 5.7.1 which was released on 6/17/15.
Since I had asked a question on this list about others' experience with the
latest version of Fleksy when also running Fleksy VO on their devices, I
thought I'd share my experience.

  I was very excited when first testing the upgraded Fleksy. After a short time
getting used to differences between the Fleksy Keyboard and Fleksy VO swipes, I
was pleasantly surprised to find that the app worked well with VoiceOver. The
only thing I had a small bother with was that each key typed with the Fleksy
keyboard engaged was announced. In Fleksy VO, this could be turned off I
believe but I could not figure out how to do that with Fleksy Keyboard. The
other difficulty I had was jumping back to the standard iOS keyboard but when I
found you could shift from an abbreviated Fleksy keyboard to one showing the
spacebar and the alternative keyboard button by doing a two-finger swipe up on
the Fleksy keyboard, this issue was resolved.

  I was really excited when I fired up Fleksy VO and it still seemed to
function as it always has for me the last several months. This was not my
experience with an earlier version of Fleksy Keyboard.

  I took pains to type with Fleksy Keyboard in my messages, email, and notes
apps and everything seemed to be working just fine. I powered off my iPhone 6
running iOS 8.3 to make sure this had no effect on the Fleksy apps. I also did
a hard reset with the home and power buttons. I wanted to make sure that the
upgraded app was functioning correctly before making an iTunes backup of my
phone post installation.

  However, at some point, things went awry. I was not able to identify the
event that caused things to go south but I started noticing it after resetting
my phone. Trying to do a two-finger swipe up on the Fleksy keyboard to switch
between its condensed keyboard without the spacebar and the one with it stopped
working. In fact, trying to type anything with Fleksy Keyboard stopped working
and I would hear the word "keypad" announced when attempting to type with the
keyboard. Removing and reloading the Fleksy keyboard in Settings, General,
Keyboards had no effect in correcting the problem. Then, I tried using the
Fleksy VO app and it was totally messed up too. This is what I've experienced
with past upgrades of the Fleksy Keyboard app but at least the problems took
longer to appear.

  I ended up restoring my iTunes encrypted backup I had made before testing the
Fleksy Keyboard upgrade in order to return to a functioning Fleksy VO app upon
which I depend mightily for iPhone input.

  I guess I'll be hopeful that they'll eventually get Fleksy Keyboard to
function well for VoiceOver users but I'm more than a little discouraged and a
lot pessimistic.

  Alan Lemly