Hi Don, the Airport Express has a headphone/speaker jack, much as you'd find on
the iPhone or many similar devices, on the back of it. Airport Extreme does
not. That's one immediate and easily identifiable physical difference that
comes to mind.
I am fairly sure the Extreme has more Ethernet ports on it too.
One technical difference that will be important if you have newer equipment is
that the Express has not been updated to support 802.11AC Wi-Fi, where as the
latest version of the Extreme supports it.
Google will turn up even more info I'm sure. They are both nice products to
maintain and configure thanks to the accessible Airport Utility.
Jonathan Mosen
Mosen Consulting
Blindness technology eBooks, tutorials and training
http://Mosen.org