Before the BARD app was available I used this app extensively to read
audiobooks on my iPhone.  It was very VO friendly, although not perfect.
Buttons are labeled with number and color like 10 blue or such but it is easy
to figure out with a little trial and error which is which.
I haven’t used the app lately since I read BARD books pretty much exclusively
but this app had a few features I sure wish the BARD app had.  I especially
liked the fact that you could use the two finger double tap to reliably start
and stop the reading. With BARD this is totally hit or miss.
When I used it I did convert the books to book format in the ITunes app and
then just put them on the iPhone using iTunes. They showed up automatically in
the Audiobooks app.
It is free for a trial of a couple days, which is long enough to see if it
meets your needs and then it is only $2.99.  I felt it was well worth it.

Here is the info about the app...

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/audiobook-podcast-player/id356817627?mt=8
Audiobook & Podcast Player
By Contity Consulting, LLC
Description
This Player is ideal for listening to the audiobooks and podcasts in your iPod
media library!
See demo on youtube (look for "Audiobook & Podcast Player")

- Automatically remembers where you are in each book and podcast you are
listening to.
- Easy navigation including quick jumps back and forth in 10 second, 1 and 10
minute increments.
- Falling asleep? Set the sleep mode count-down timer to pause the player just
like on your TV.
- "Time Travel" allows you to go back to whatever you were listening to at a
given time in the past.
- Library browser automatically keeps track of the recent titles you listened
to.

No need to purchase upfront. Try out this fully functional version for free!
After you had a chance to evaluate it for a couple of days, you will be kindly
requested to purchase it for $2.99 from within the application using iTune's
In-App-Purchasing.
...More
Contity Consulting, LLC Web Site
Audiobook & Podcast Player Support
Better than Music for audiobooks
5 stars

by S. Barnes When I tried listening to an audiobook on Music, I was very
disappointed. There was no continuous play between tracks, and even worse, when
one track stopped, the player goes blank, leaving no hint of where you were.
With an audiobook of over 100 chapters, this is very frustrating! This app
is much better. It groups all tracks into one large file so you can see how far
you are into the audiobook and how far you have left. It also has buttons
that let you skip one minute, ten minutes or just ten seconds, in case you miss
a little or a lot. The only glitch i have found with this app is that the
playback will skip back a second and repeat itself when you go into the app,
which is hardly a problem. It also is only available for iPhone, but don't
let that stop you from grabbing it. The functionality greatly outweighs the
tiny player's appearance. Great download!
...More

For Audiobook Lovers, A Perfect Replacement for iPad's Music App
5 stars

by AppleWasp With iOS 5 for iPad, Apple replaced the Audio app with the Music
app and basically broke playback of multi-file audiobooks and removed a lot
of functionality for playback of audiobooks and podcasts (such as 30 second
rewind). This app essentially resorts a lot of the removed functionality to
the iPad (despite the fact that it's an iPhone app) and that's what I use it
for.

What's best about it is that it reads audiobooks and podcasts from the iOS
Audio//Music library. That means you don't have to mess around with the awkward
3rd party app document system. Youf can move files by normal drag-and-drop,
sync, store download, etc. and still view and use them in Apple's app.

I'd prefer it this a universal or iPad app and perhaps a little prettier but
that's a small quibble. It's easy enough to use at either x1 or x2 sizes.

Since it came up in another review, it's important to set some information
straight: the app is fully functional and free and the optional payment of
(currently
a whopping $3) is hardly mercenary. Also, when you buy the upgrade for you copy
on one device, you get the upgrade for all the iOS devices that use the
same iTunes account. Just press the Restore Previous Purchase" button in each
app using the same account.
...More

The most perfect audiobook and ipod listening app I've tried!
5 stars

by SueBrideshead This app is exactly what I've been looking for, trying many
different free apps and never finding one that worked how I needed it to.
I use my iPhone 4s to listen to audiobooks at bedtime, and often fall asleep
during their play. This application allows me to set a sleep timer, and even
better, to "time warp" back to the spot at which I was at any set time! The 10
second, 1 minute, and 10 minute skip forward and back is also invaluable!
I will never use another app to listen to podcasts or audiobooks, so long as
these functions continue.
...More