I believe you can go into Settings/Messages, and choose to have
messsages kept for certain lengths of time, such as a week, a month,
or forever. I have changed this to forever, since there are some work
years ago and whenever I have updated my iPhone or gotten a new phone
and restored from iCloud, all of my messages have been there. So far
this hasn't blown up my iCloud storage since I still have over half of
the free 5 gigs available. I backup many other things to iCloud too,
so it's not all saved messages.

Wayne

Follow me on Twitter at:
www.twitter.com/wcmerritt