Hello!

 basically you create a boxcar account. Then you can enter additional accounts
(twitter, email, facebook etc), to get notifications for them.
I ddin't notice any battery issues with it. I quit using it just because I
switched to twitter app what supported notifications itself and facebook fixed
its issues with notifications.
You don't need to have this app running backround to get notified.
Kõike paremat soovides
With best regards
Jakob Rosin
jakob....@gmail.com