From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of
M. Taylor
Sent: Thursday, October 22, 2015 3:20 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: Mark on iOS 9.1, So Far

Hello Everyone,

Well, last night, I finally installed iOS 9.1 on my 6 Plus.

For me, there are no proverbial show-stoppers.

1.
However, given that I have been in an ongoing dialog with Apple engineers, I
am a little disappointed that the camera app zoom VoiceOver bug still
persist.  However, on a positive note, at least, enabling VoiceOver, after
zooming in on an image, no longer cancels the zoom.  Baby steps, eh?
(smile).

2.
I am surprised at how much I miss having the time announced when waking the
phone.

3.
Perhaps it's just me but I swear the quality of Samantha has been greatly
degraded in this version.  I just don't understand why, with every major
release since iOS 6.x, the quality of Samantha has been steadily declining.
Of course, this is just my opinion.  What I do find interesting is that
Samantha's pronunciation of words that were absolutely correct in iOS 8, has
been changed and are now incorrect in iOS 9.1.

In iOS 8.x, I found the high quality version of the Samantha voice somewhat
pleasant, in iOS 9.x, I find it unsettling, to say the least.  I cannot
imagine having the current Samantha voice reading long stretches of texts,
whereas in the previous iOS, this would not have even been at issue.  Is
Apple trying to force everyone to Alex?  (Yes, a conspiracy theory).
(Smile).

4.
Also, the SMS Reply To dictation feedback problem is very, very annoying.

For those who disagree, let me say that I respect your opinion.  Also, the
feedback is not much of a problem if one dictates using either a Bluetooth
or wired headset.  I suppose it is not much of an issue if one only dictates
1 or 2 words.  However, if one attempts to dictate a full sentence, then the
feedback becomes problematic as a kind of feedback loop ensues causing a
great deal of random text to be inserted as Siri, hearing VoiceOver, begins
to dictate to itself.

5.
I know this comes up every time a new OS is released but it seems to me as
though my battery drains faster since updating from 8.x to 9.1.  I just
turned off a lot of items that were active in the background app refresh
area so I'll see how it goes.  However, I can tell you that I updated a
total of three 6 plus phones, yesterday, two from iOS 9.0.2.  Now, even
though both of those two phones that were already running 9.x, were plugged
into an outlet at the time of the update, via OTA, both had less charge
after updating than they did, before the update began.  I've never seen such
a thing before.

6.
As always, I have sent my findings to Apple.

7.
Finally, and I want to be clear on this:  Updating the OS OTA (over-the-air)
is in no way the same as installing it from iTunes via a USB cable.  For
whatever reason, there does seem to be a pattern of more problems when going
from iOS 8.x to 9.x via OTA.

What is the difference between the OTA method and the iTunes method?  In
short, updating OTA does not rewrite the file allocation table and file
structures, just for starters.  When you update via iTunes, it is as if you
are doing a fresh install as all of the file tables and data clusters are
actually rewritten to the disk..

Want proof of this?  No problem, here's how to verify the difference.  When
you use the OTA method, you will notice that any custom keyboard shortcuts
you may have added remain, after the update.  However, when you update via
iTunes, you will discover that only default keyboard shortcuts exist,
meaning you will have to rewrite your custom keyboard shortcuts.

I wish I could lay claim to having learned about the difference between the
two methods, independently but I was told of the difference by a senior
Apple iOS design engineer.

I'll be honest, I have not used the iTunes method since the OTA option
became available but now that I have had several of my recent syncing
problems resolved after having used the iTunes method, I'll probably use it
from now on, when possible.

Mark