to use iMessage and Facetime, the end user must agree to associate a
piece of identifiable information, such as an e-mail address or a
phone number,  to Apple.  Is your father able to send iMessages to
others?  While he may tell you one thing, he may not wish to
relinquish his privacy rights. I am surprised as to how many iPhone
owners have not enabled Facetime or iMessage.

Kelly