I finally got it to download last night. I kept having the same problems as
you, so I just stayed in the app store, and kept hitting download. Eventually,
it started coming down, but very, very slowly. I stayed in the app store the
entire time, leaving my focus on the download button, so I could track progress
of the download. I don't know if staying in the app store actually helped, but
I'm glad I finally got the game downloaded.

Thanks,
Ari