Here's the link to zoom reader.
ZoomReader by Ai Squared
https://appsto.re/us/4-URy.i

It doesn't say how much it magnifies, and it hasn't been updated since 2012.

Here is another app that claims it magnifies up to 30 X. That's a big-time
magnification. I'm going to try it out on my iPad mini. Here is the link.
Magnifying reader for restaurant bill and menu (30x zoom) by Lilit Yeritsyan
https://appsto.re/us/lMhX2.i

Having an iDevice function as a portable CCTV would be great.  I haven’t been
successful in finding an app that will magnify enough for me or flip the text
to negative mode.

Good luck with this, you would think it would be very doable.  :)
Traci