Hi Walter,

Yes, this Is normal behavior if you use the same Apple Id on two iOS devices,
but you can turn this off.

Many people like this feature especially if they have an iPhone and iPad. An
iPad normally can’t receive phone calls, but if you use the same Apple Id you
could have your iPhone plugged in to charge in the bedroom and sit in the
living room with your iPad and still accept incoming phone calls.

The same goes for messages and this can also be turned off.

Calls on other devices”.

For phone calls, go to Settings > Phone, then double tap where it says “Calls
on other devices”.

On the next screen you first of all have to turn this on or off. If it’s off
then you won’t have any further options.

Underneath the On/Off switch you have the following explanation:

Use your iPhone’s cellular connection to make and receive calls on devices
signed into your iCloud account when they are nearby and on WiFi.

If you turn it on, you then also have a list of available devices and you can
turn each of them on or off independently. For example:

You may have bought a new iPhone 6S, but you still have your old 5S for use on
WiFi only and maybe you also have an iPad. If this is the case and you use the
same Apple Id for iCloud on all three devices, you would see both the iPhone 5S
and the iPad listed here and you can turn both on or maybe just turn on the
iPad and turn off the iPhone etc.

For messages, go to Settings > Messages and double tap on “Text Message
Forwarding”. The explanation underneath reads as follows:

Allow your iPhone text messages to also be sent and received on other devices
signed in to your iMessage account.

If you double tap on Text Message Forwarding, you then can again turn on or off
any devices independently which show up in the list.

This is a bit different than the phone calls since for phone calls you have to
use the same Apple Id for the iCloud account and here you have to use the same
Apple Id for iMessages.

This is why it’s important to not use the same Apple Id even if you share the
same Apple Id for app store and iTunes purchases. It is no problem to use a
common Apple Id for app store and iTunes but to sign into iMessage and Facetime
with a separate Apple Id which you only use for that purpose. This way each
person in a family can have their own Apple Id for iMessage and Facetime, but
use the same Apple Id to make and share purchases.

Even if you disable text message forwarding, if you use the same apple Id for
iMessage and/or Facetime on two devices and let’s say you have one device and
your wife has the other, if somebody sends you an iMessage to your Apple Id it
would still show up on both devices. In other words, you want to make sure your
girl-friend does not do that *smile*.

Best regards,

Sieghard

account