Hello,
I'm one of those blind people who strongly favours the thumb-typing method shown to me by a sighted friend. I used to be an index-finger-typist, but quickly realized I was much more productive with the more mainstream approach. With that said, I found that it only works on the iPhone when touch-typing is enabled. Standard typing with thumbs, i.e. double-tapping every letter after finding it, was both tortuously slow as to be nearly impossible. If you're going to try it that way, I highly suggest you make the switch. Most of us on this list have already taken that leap, I think, but thought I'd put it out there in case you're still experinmenting with different settings.

Best of luck figuring out what works best for you. As Sieghard said earlier, this truly is a subjective matter with no right or wrong answer.

Take care,
Michelle