Hi Eileen,

OK, so you got a few responses, some with correct information, some with
speculations. Ben is correct, an official AT&T unlock will, of course, not
jailbreak your phone. As for the SIM card, your phone would have come with a
little gadget to poke into the hole and pop out the SIM tray, but as already
mentioned, a bent-open paperclip will do just fine. From what I heard on
Today in iOS there is a process involved, my understanding is that if your
phone is off contract you simply request the unlock from AT&T and within a
few hours you should receive an email with instructions. All people ever
reported was that the instructions were clear and easy to follow, nobody
explained exactly whether they had to download anything, I sort of doubt it
since updates for the iPhone as far as I know come from one place only and
that is Apple. I once bought a little Go Phone in Hawaii during a vacation
and when I was back in Canada I called AT&T and explained that I bought this
for my holiday and now that I was back in Canada I'd like to use the phone
here. The lady gave me exact instructions on the phone, of course I had to
get a sighted person to do this, but it involved going into the menus and
eventually to punch in a very long code and once that was done the phone was
unlocked.

I have an unlocked iPhone 4S which I bought directly from Apple at full
price and all I can say is that it is definitely nice to have an unlocked
phone although unfortunately I didn't know about StraightTalk when I went to
Maui last March otherwise I might have been able to get some sort of plan,
AT&T unfortunately is very stupid about it. If you are going to Europe or
Asia you should have no problem to get prepaid voice and data, only thing is
that maybe not all carriers or resellers may offer a micro SIM, I think I
might invest eventually in the SIM cutter from www.CutMySIM.com which allows
you to easily cut a regular SIM card down to micros SIM size and I think
they even give you an adapter which allows you to use it again in a
full-size SIM card slot.