Hi Kim,

In most countries like this it is easy and often relatively inexpensive to buy
a local SIM and some sort of plan which gives you data and some minutes and
texts. If you have an unlocked phone all you have to do is take out your SIM
and insert the local SIM, most likely wherever you buy the SIM would do it for
you. This way you'll have access to data and therefore anything the iPhone has
to offer. I always do this when I go to the Philippines and I also did this
when I went to Thailand. Often people in these countries whether it's Asia,
Africa or South America, rely much more on cell phones and often there are
relatively good cell networks but very few landline networks. Texting is the
big thing in these countries as it is inexpensive and how people communicate.

As for apps, I'd do a Google search for "Travel apps for Peru" and go from
there. Do you or your friend speak Spanish? I sure hope so because while I'm a
pretty experienced traveler and I have travelled a fair bit, I'm not sure if
I'd risk a country where I didn't speak the language and where English may not
be spoken widely. I haven't researched Peru, but while you might be OK with
English in Lima and the touristy areas, you may run into problems on the
streets if you need help from "normal" people there by which I mean people who
don't necessarily have a reason to know English.

I would also recommend you speak to your Doctor about things like altitude
sickness since I assume you plan to visit places like Cusco or Lake Titikaka,
Cusco is 10,800 feet above sea level (3,292 meters) and Lake Titikaka is almost
12,500 feet or almost 3,800 meters and a good percentage of people not used to
elevation may experience some sort of altitude sickness which can be very mild
or quite severe to the point where you can't do it. Lime is not that high and
even Machu Picchu is less than 2,500 meters or about 8,400 feet which isn't a
problem.

Good luck,