HI Lucy.
I don't have one myself, but I don't believe you can reverse the
panning buttons. Below, I've pasted the section of the manual that has
to do with checking the battery status. Looks like the easiest way to
do it is listen to the second set of tones when the Braille Pen
starts. There is also a way to find it in the menu, again, see below
for details. Anyway, I'm glad the NLS files are now reading correctly.
Below is the info from the manual.
BraillePen12 sound signals
BraillePen12 communicates its status using high-pitched beeps. When
you first turn your BraillePen12 on, it give several beeps.
First you hear a single short beep to let you know that the BraillePen12 is on.
Then you hear a set of beeps to tell you the battery status.
The third set of beeps tells you that the BraillePen12's Bluetooth
interface is active and can make a connection with another device.
The sound for "BraillePen12 on" and the sound for "Bluetooth active"
don't change; the battery sounds will change depending on how much
charge there is. Here is the full list of battery status beeps:
One long beep, pause, three short beeps means that the unit is not
connected to the power and the battery is fully charged.
One long beep, pause, two short beeps means that the unit is not
connected to the power, and the battery is charged to half its
capacity.
One long beep, pause, one long beep means that the unit is not
connected to the power, and that the battery is drained and needs to
be recharged immediately.
Two mid-length beeps means that the unit is connected to power and the
battery is charging, but doesn't report on the state of the battery.
Two mid-length beeps, pause, three short beeps means that the unit is
on charge, and the battery is already fully charged.
BraillePen 12 Touch Settings and Test Menu
BraillePen 12 Touch has its own internal menu. It allows you to
customize certain settings.To enter this menu, press Space-Control
(Enter) within one second after having switched on the BraillePen 12
Touch. To move to the next item in the menu, press Joystick Down; if
you press Joystick Up, you will go immediately to the bottom item in
the menu, which is exit. Use Joystick Down to step through the menu
items.
The settings are as follows:
Battery indicator
Sleep time x minutes
Feedback beep
Cursor delay
Vibrate
Cell test
Key test
Cursors test
BT test (Bluetooth test)
Firmware version
Cbrd run
Exit
Some items in this menu show only the name on the menu with no
parameters. You can go into these items, where you will be able to
test your BraillePen 12 Touch, or alter its settings. For these items,
press Joystick Enter to enable the settings or perform the test; press
Joystick Up or down to alter settings, and press Joystick Enter once
more to confirm settings.

Menu items description:
Battery indicator:
this displays the percentage of battery life remaining.