No need to get it replaced if only the screen is black. You don't need
the screen anyway so it still works perfectly for you!

On 4/23/2016 9:52 PM, rajmund wrote:
> Hi Sieghard,
> I'm sure the deepness would matter, too.  Still, it must be a touch beast.
> 
> Sent from a BrailleNote
> 
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Sieghard Weitzel <[email protected]
> To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]
> Date sent: Sat, 23 Apr 2016 20:51:02 +0000
> Subject: RE: The final chapter, was: The story continues...  Long
> lostiPhone6Shas finally resurfaced after snow melt
> 
> Hi Rajmund,
> 
> Yes, but actually submersing something by, for example, putting it in a
> bowl of water is different from splashing water over it and submersing
> it further (in deeper water) is different again because the deeper you
> go the more pressure the water is under.  I am not at all worried using
> my phone in the rain, but I still wouldn't want to walk through a
> waste-deep river with it clipped to my belt.  That is the difference
> between "water resistant" and "water proof".
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On
> Behalf Of rajmund
> Sent: Saturday, April 23, 2016 1:45 PM
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: RE: The final chapter, was: The story continues...  Long lost
> iPhone6Shas finally resurfaced after snow melt
> 
> Hi,
> Well, it isn't documented, but, considering it survived the snow,
> which is, when melting, pure water, it leaves me wondering.
> 
> Sent from a BrailleNote
> 
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Sieghard Weitzel <[email protected]
> To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]
> Date sent: Sat, 23 Apr 2016 20:32:54 +0000
> Subject: RE: The final chapter, was: The story continues...  Long
> lost iPhone6Shas finally resurfaced after snow melt
> 
> I wouldn't quite call the 6S or 6S Plus waterproof, but it is
> apparently quite water resistant even though Apple has so far not
> actually mentioned this as a selling point.  When IFixIt did the
> tear-down of the 6S and 6S Plus last fall they found a number of
> improvements which made the phone more water resistant and I
> could see how Apple may have done this to see how it stands up by
> evaluating any returns they get and maybe this fall with the
> iPhone 7 they improve on it further and make an actual statement
> towards water proofness.  I could see how having only a single
> Lightning port with no 3.5mm port could make it easier to make it
> more water-resistant.  After all, all Garmin GPS units have an
> IPX-7 rating which means they can be submersed under 1 meter
> (just over 3 feet) of water for up to 30 minutes without damage.
> Of course they don't need to have openings for speakers or
> microphones and the battery compartment is sealed off from the
> rest of the unit and is not water-proof, but I think it's
> probably possible to achieve this.
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]]
> On Behalf Of rajmund
> Sent: Saturday, April 23, 2016 12:57 PM
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: re: The final chapter, was: The story continues...  Long
> lost iPhone 6Shas finally resurfaced after snow melt
> 
> Hi,
> Wow! Just, wow! Oh, my! The water proof 6s!
> If my phone would have something like this, I wouldn't bother
> with the screen, but, each to their own.
> Sent from a BrailleNote
> 
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Sieghard Weitzel <[email protected]
> To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]
> Date sent: Sat, 23 Apr 2016 17:43:26 +0000
> Subject: The final chapter, was: The story continues...  Long
> lost iPhone 6Shas finally resurfaced after snow melt
> 
> Hi everybody,
> 
> Finally, here is the long awaited last chatper of my lost iPhone
> story.
> 
> yesterday the package with my iPhone 6S packed in rice arrived.
> Externally it looks brand new with not a scratch on it.  When I
> took out the SIM tray it seemed like there was maybe a bit of
> moisture there so I left out the SIM tray and stuck the iPhone in
> my toaster oven on a really low temperature for a couple of hours
> just to maybe expel a bit more moisture from inside.
> 
> After that the moment came and I plugged it in.  My wife was
> there and we quietly watched, but the screen remained black.
> After about 2 minutes there was no change and I thought that
> answered the question as to whether the iPhone was still working
> after having been lying on the ground outside for 115 days, first
> in snow and temperatures of up to -40 Celsius/Fahrenheit and as
> warm as +20 Celsius (68 Fahrenheit) and of course having gone
> through the process when the snow and ice around it melted and so
> on.  It was also exposed to the sun, back in March there was
> another 10 inches of new snow over the course of a week and in
> the week or two before my brother found it on April 15 it had
> rained lightly a few times.
> 
> Anyhow, I left it plugged in and when I came back to my office 2
> hours later I thought I check it out.  I pressed the home button
> and bingo, Voiceover was there and asked me to enter my passcode.
> I did so and the phone unlocked.  There was of course no service
> since I got a new SIM back in December when I lost it and I had
> also just installed a new router at my store so I had to
> reconnect to WiFi.  As soon as I did so the phone started dinging
> and binging away as emails came in, push notification alerts
> sounded and on top of all that it started playing the lost sound
> since back on December 22 we logged in to my iCloud account and
> triggered the Find my iPhone sound in case I had just dropped it
> somewhere in the house.
> 
> At that point it had charged up to 82% and everything seemed
> totally normal..  I went to Settings > General > Software Update
> and since I registered this phone on the public beta program, I
> was told iOS 9.3.2 public beta 2 was available for download.  I
> started the download and it downloaded the 1.2 Gb file in about
> 14 minutes, after that the upgrade proceeded normally and the
> phone was up and running again in about 12 minutes.
> 
> So, happy ending, right? Well, almost.  Shortly after I finished
> the update one of my employees walked in to ask me something.  I
> happily told her "Look, the iPhone that was lying in the snow
> for 4 months is working".  I held it up and swiped around and
> Voiceover was chattering.  Then she said "OK, but what about the
> screen".  I asked "Why, what about the screen" and she said
> that it was totally and utterly black.  At first I thought that
> was no problem, maybe the screen curtain was on.  I did a
> 3-finger triple tap, but to my dismay Voiceover said "Screen
> curtain on" and not "off".  I did it again and Voiceover
> confirmed the screen curtain was now off.  I checked the
> brightness and even increased it to 100%, but she said it just
> was showing a completely black screen.
> 
> So, I guess for the time it's now truly an iPhone for the blind,
> it works perfectly, I made a Skype call on it to my Mom and both
> speaker and microphones seem to work just fine, but the screen
> seems to be not working.  It will be interesting to see if in the
> next few days it comes back.  Anyhow, it so happens that my wife
> and I have to go to Vancouver next week so I'll take it an Apple
> Store and get it replaced since I have Apple Care Plus and it's
> of course totally worth it to pay the $130 Canadian which is what
> an accidental damage replacement costs.  Let's hope the screen
> doesn't start working by then *smile*
> 
> The end.
> 
> 
> Regards,
> Sieghard
> 
> -- 
> The following information is important for all members of the V
> iPhone list..
> 
> If you have any questions or concerns about the running of this
> list, or if you feel that a member's post is inappropriate,
> please contact the owners or moderators directly rather than
> posting on the list itself.
> 
> Your V iPhone list moderator is Mark Taylor and your owner is
> Cara Quinn - you can reach Cara at [email protected]
> 
> The archives for this list can be searched at:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the
> Google Groups "VIPhone" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
> send an email to [email protected].
> To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/viphone.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
> 
> -- 
> The following information is important for all members of the V
> iPhone list..
> 
> If you have any questions or concerns about the running of this
> list, or if you feel that a member's post is inappropriate,
> please contact the owners or moderators directly rather than
> posting on the list itself.
> 
> Your V iPhone list moderator is Mark Taylor and your owner is
> Cara Quinn - you can reach Cara at [email protected]
> 
> The archives for this list can be searched at:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the
> Google Groups "VIPhone" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
> send an email to [email protected].
> To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/viphone.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
> 
> -- 
> The following information is important for all members of the V
> iPhone list..
> 
> If you have any questions or concerns about the running of this
> list, or if you feel that a member's post is inappropriate,
> please contact the owners or moderators directly rather than
> posting on the list itself.
> 
> Your V iPhone list moderator is Mark Taylor and your owner is
> Cara Quinn - you can reach Cara at [email protected]
> 
> The archives for this list can be searched at:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the
> Google Groups "VIPhone" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
> send an email to [email protected].
> To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/viphone.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
> 
> -- 
> The following information is important for all members of the V iPhone
> list..
> 
> If you have any questions or concerns about the running of this list, or
> if you feel that a member's post is inappropriate, please contact the
> owners or moderators directly rather than posting on the list itself.
> 
> Your V iPhone list moderator is Mark Taylor and your owner is Cara Quinn
> - you can reach Cara at [email protected]
> 
> The archives for this list can be searched at:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "VIPhone" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
> an email to [email protected].
> To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/viphone.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
> 
> -- 
> The following information is important for all members of the V iPhone
> list..
> 
> If you have any questions or concerns about the running of this list, or
> if you feel that a member's post is inappropriate, please contact the
> owners or moderators directly rather than posting on the list itself.
> 
> Your V iPhone list moderator is Mark Taylor and your owner is Cara Quinn
> - you can reach Cara at [email protected]
> 
> The archives for this list can be searched at:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "VIPhone" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
> an email to [email protected].
> To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/viphone.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
> 

-- 
The following information is important for all members of the V iPhone list.

If you have any questions or concerns about the running of this list, or if you 
feel that a member's post is inappropriate, please contact the owners or 
moderators directly rather than posting on the list itself.

Your V iPhone list moderator is Mark Taylor and your owner is Cara Quinn - you 
can reach Cara at [email protected]

The archives for this list can be searched at:
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"VIPhone" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/viphone.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to