Fred,

I do know exactly what you're talking about.  You're talking about playlist
folders.

Here's the deal: I DID figure out how to solve this problem.
 Unfortunately, the only solution is an undocumented API, which Apple is
always reticent to let through.  Hopefully their docs will change soon, and
I'll be able to submit a fix that will have the proper playlist hierarchy
intact.

-David