If you have vibration on with the ring on your phone, this will vibrate as well
as play a sound, so I thought those who are deaf-blind and could use a light
detector, this would be the one.  It is free!
I copied the following from their web site.

Boop Light Detector App

Boop is an an app developed for iOS users (8.0 and above) to detect levels of
light and interpret this information with sound. It allows its blind and
visually impaired users to detect whether lights are on or off. It covers a
broad range of light levels which span from sensing daylight through open
windows to checking whether the indicator light is on for a wifi router.

Boop does not require any additional hardware and has been tested on a variety
of different phones (4s-6s) in addition to iPads.

Download Boop on the Itunes store using this direct
link<https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/boop-light-detector/id1134857212?ls=1&mt=8>
 or search for "Boop Light Detector" in the Itunes app.

[Jonathan testing out Boop at Athack 2016]

Features

There are other light detectors on the app store, but we argue Boop is the best
for the following reasons:

  *   Boop is free
  *   Boop provides a larger range of light detection by using more than simple
pixel values from the camera. We also factor in the camera exposure and
sensitivity levels, leading to a robust light detection that's insensitive to
varying lighting conditions or high contrast and provides higher resolution
than its competitors.
  *   Boop is fast and responsive. Our app consists of one single screen and
uses an asynchronous system to simultaneous track light levels and send quick,
audible feedback.
  *   Boop was developed with the accessibility voice over features in mind. We
make use of the gestures and have the familiar magic touch (or two finger
double tap) to exit the app.
  *   Last, and possibly most importantly, we have a vibrate feature for using
the app in quiet areas. Based on the frequency of vibrations, you can estimate
light intensity and source location.